Thursday 13 October 2011

Ad Perpetuam Rei Memoriam

October 13th is always a tough date for myself and my family. It was my stepfather's birthday. The hooligan was born on Friday the 13th in the month most associated with badassery when it comes to death, ghosts, vampires, and other unChristian things the Vatican frowns upon. He died a few years ago and I miss him dearly to this day. Dearly as in I can be broken down to cry like a little schoolgirl who just learned what a "period" is. However, this year I'm ditching the melancholic vibe. I've done that enough, as has everyone. It's about time I showed the world who he was and not in a mourning fashion but in a celebrating fashion. Well, more poking fun at him and posting embarrassing pictures of him than celebrating but it's all the same thing in my books!


He looks like such a square here, yes, but do not be fooled; he wreaked havoc even back then. I can't tell you how many stories there are about the hell he'd create around him just for shits and giggles. Like how he destroyed his cousin's jeep because he wanted it but couldn't have it (or something along those lines). Also, it is safe to assume that his angelic smile got him out of a lot of crap. I learned a lot about getting out of crap from him but more importantly, I learned how to get into crap. Good ol' crap!

This was "the baby". Screw me, screw my sister who hadn't even been born by this time. THIS was the beloved one and by god this car earned that right. In case you've no idea of the god you're staring at this is what's called a Mazda RX-7. Baby girl would call to my Dad and I early Saturday mornings calling "Kamaaaal....Beeeeth...come ride with meeee". We had absolutely no choice but to bid its calling. To this day, I still hear her inside my very soul.

You only wish your Dad was this cool. The kind of Dad who would sit there and glare into your very soul while you pinned your favourite bow into his hair. The kind of Dad who would only beg this picture would not be shown to the public when your spouse grabs the camera. I don't know why; he rocks the pink bow look. Also, your parents are hoping you're not the kind of child that I am who would then in later years post the picture in a public forum for everyone to see. 

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the Minnie Mouse ears or the picture. This is my Mother's handywork. In this moment, I'm very proud of her taking advantage of someone while unconscious. My mind is making so many mental notes about the endless possibilities. This was taken when they got married at Disney World and you can bet your ass I got to go. The good days when tie die shirts and Minnie Mouse ears totally didn't clash.

Can you see why my sister and I like hats so much? Hair accessories were this man's "thing". It's a shame the whole tie die shirt thing didn't catch on with us offspring but there's still a few years yet to let that develop. This wig was infamous in the family and made its rounds. I wore it, my Mom wore it, Dad loved it. We could all feel like 80s glam rock stars! Pfft, what am I kidding? Secretly, we are 80s glam rock stars. Go on; be jealous. Our groupies are absolutely legendary.

See? This is the 80s glam rock train, nonstop all the way to Rockville, baby! Denim was all the rage because it was the material that just didn't give a fuck. Dad's not really giving the peace sign there; he's ready to gouge your eyes out if you get any closer with that camera. Screw your pink bows and Minnie Mouse ears! In reality, this was the family on a trip to some farm in a place I can't remember. All I remember is I tried milking a cow and my little sister discovered her love for baby pigs. No, I'm not talking about Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, I mean the animals. God.

I figured it would be nice to end on a "nice" family picture. Especially with a bonus family member in there, my Auntie Binde! This was when Auntie and my uncle Manoj got married. They had some bogus belly dancer who decided to shake her stuff right in front of me. See how young I am here? Can you understand why I'm tainted as a human being now? Do you know the things I've seen?? Anyway, it was a fun night where many of us learned that we will never be stars in a Bollywood movie. Not sure if Dad kept his tie on for very long after this picture. When he partied, he meant Business with a capital B which automatically entails tie-throwing.

This is the man that I remember who made up so much of not only my childhood but also my personality. If it weren't for his music influences, I wouldn't be the rocker/metaler that I am today. I wouldn't have the sense of humour that I do. I wouldn't have the willing spirit in me to kick ass that I do (not like I succeed. Kicking the shins is not a good fighting move). It's still hard to accept that he's gone and I'll always have my moments. Hell, looking at these pictures I know I'll be having one soon. However, the moments I have mean that he's still alive in me and I wouldn't trade that for anything. Nope, not even a pool filled with $50 Billion dollars and lord knows what I would do for that pool of $50 Billion dollars. When the moments are over I still have the good memories and all the lessons I learned from him. I also have the true family and friends who continue to help me get through the loss. It's not an easy process and without them it'd be a helluva lot harder.

So here's to you, Dad. You'd better have WIFI up wherever the hell it is you are and you'd better read this. Mainly because I want you to know that the world sees how you are totally stylin' in that pink bow. I love you, I miss you, and all of us down here are continuing the 80s glam rockstar life for you. You wouldn't believe what a groupie did to me the other day....

Author's Note: Thanks to my uncle, Anoop, for unknowingly supplying me with all the pictures I've used in this blog post. Facebook's awesome/a bitch like that! <3

1 comment:

  1. <3 Beautiful post Beth. He seems a lot like you; must have been an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete