Thursday 17 November 2011

I Am The 1%

I am the sort of person who is stuck in a funk in my life but I won't be blaming it on my government, the economy, or any other third party. I am not going to talk about Occupy Anywhere or about how my generation has been given shit on a platter from the previous generation. That dead horse has been flayed over and over, as it will continue to be.


No, I am working at a minimum wage job that barely offers part-time hours. The job is unforgiving, the company is sinking, management is clueless, and no one is happy as an employee. However, I stay. I stay not because I love my job but because I need the small amount of money that I make there. Finding a new job is difficult so I don't even put the effort in anymore.


I am the small percentage of people who has no ambition or goals. I've no idea what I want to do with my life. No longer do I believe in potential within myself and resign myself to the mediocre. The fear of the new and unknown takes over, as I allow it to. The fear of failing at a new prospect keeps me in my perpetual state of mediocrity and unhappiness. My doubt in my ability to learn anything new (and quickly) keeps me from pursuing even a simple night class. In anything. Not even a hobby.


Many in my age group have at least something to work towards. They're in school, they're self employed, or they have a holy grail of which they're slowly making their way to. A career, a destination, a vision. All I have is the hope that tomorrow might be better. I've never had a lightning strike moment where the answer to the ever-present "What am I going to do?" question was realized and to be honest, I'm fearful of finding out the answer.


I am the minority of people who still lives at home, dreaming of a better future, but holds themselves back from discovering it.  I am the sort who will watch others succeed and thrive while wishing I could somehow do the same (with no one else to blame but myself for not doing so).

I am the 1%.

No comments:

Post a Comment